Thursday 3 December 2009

Student Theater at Univesity College London

I'm a sucker for student theater, I really am. I love going to see enthusiastic, if unpolished, productions for less than the cost of a pint. It's one of the joys of living in whats essentially a huge university town like London.

Finding student productions when you're no longer on campus is a bit of a struggle, of course. One of the very few drama societies I could find with a website is the one at University College London (UCL), which is conveniently close to where I work.

I saw The Pillowman a few weeks ago at the UCLU Garage Theater Workshop, close to Euston station. For a mere £3, we were treated to 2 1/2 hours of truly excellent acting, with the small cast handling their lines without a stumble. If the actors hadn't looked so young and the audience hadn't had an average age of 19ish, it could have easily been any off West End play.

Unfortunately I missed the next production UCLU put on, of Dr Faustus, but I hope to make it to see Cymbeline at the end of the week. Shakespeare and thrift all in one place - what more could a girl want!

For instructions to the theater and show times, see UCLU Drama's site at:
http://ucludrama.wordpress.com/upcoming-plays-and-workshops/

If any of you dear readers has information on other student drama, please please please send it my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment